The Soul Saving Station of Christ's Crusaders of Florida, Inc. is one of many churches outreaching from the first Soul Saving Station, founded in New York by Bishop and Mrs. Billy Roberts. The name "Soul Saving Station" was inspired by the Holy Spirit, who illustrated to Bishop Roberts the parallel between a filling station where drivers filled their automobiles with gasoline to a "soul filling station" where hurting, hungry souls might come to fill empty hearts with God's Spirit. Just as an automobile requires gasoline to operate, men and women require a saving knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ and constant infilling with the Holy Spirit to operate as God intended. Thus, "Soul Saving Station for Every Nation" was intended to be a place of refuge for the spiritually hungry of all nations and all walks of life. It was intended to be a place where the seeker could find new life and new hope in Christ Jesus and where souls might be filled with the power of God. Since that original church was founded in 1942, Soul Saving Station For Every Nation has experienced growth and now has member churches around the world.
In January 1951, a young woman called to the ministry named Carolyn Sheffield accepted the direction and leading of the Holy Spirit to leave New York and go to Opa Locka, Florida in order to start a Soul Saving Station. The Soul Saving Station of Christ’s Crusaders of Florida began in an old frame house in the adjacent block to our present location. It moved from the house into the street, then under a tree, and then to an old storefront. After the little storefront, it moved into its present building. Mother Carolyn Sheffield’s faith in God and determination to do His will in the face of persecution and great trials, together with the steadfast support of those early prayer warriors who stood by her side in those early rough years, have enabled a small mission outreach that first held church services under a tree on the side of the road to grow into the powerful, Bible-based, Christ-centered ministry you see today. We have watched God bless and mature his people, and many have ventured forth from this place to begin new ministries as God has led them.
On December 2, 1998, our beloved Pastor and Founder departed this world to be with the Lord. She is gone but the work still continues; the vision will be fulfilled. We will always remember her frequent words of encouragement: "Stand on the Word, Wait on God, and Seek the Anointing." Our remembrance is further assured by the fact that Mother Sheffield's work is being carried on by a new pastor who could hardly have been better chosen. Bishop James M. Murray, who was installed as the Senior Pastor on March 13, 1999, served as Pastor Sheffield's Assistant Pastor for over twenty-five years and gained immeasurably from her leadership and example. Bishop Murray accepted the call from God to take up the responsibilities of leadership in his own right as Senior Pastor with courage, humility and prayer.